CONTINUING EDUCATION REPORT
MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT CEs. LET’S TRY TO ANSWER SOME.
Every two full years, we need to report 30 CEs to renew our licenses.
The CE requirement was put in place 9/16/2016. It applies to every two full years.
--If your last renewal was PRIOR to 9/16/16, then the next two full years will fall AFTER your current period.
Example: Person A renewed his license on 7/1/16 (prior to 9/16/16). Person A’s next renewal will be 7/1/18. This is 2 months short of a full 2 years. Person A will not need to report CEs in 2018. Person A will need to report CEs in 2020 for the 7/1/18-7/1/20 renewal period.
--If your most recent renewal was AFTER 9/16/16, then the next two full years will be in your next renewal period.
Example: Person B renewed her license on 11/1/16. Her next renewal date will be 11/1/18. Two full years have passed AFTER 9/16/16. She will need to report 30 CEs when she renews in 11/1/18.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT MAPP HAS AFFILIATED WITH THE AMERICAN PSYCHOTHERAPY ASSOCIATION WHICH IS CERTIFIED TO GRANT CEs FOR LLPs in MICHIGAN.
HERE IS A BRIEF SUMMARY OF HOW YOU CAN EARN CEs:
CEs must be approved/offered by:
APA/MPA; MI certification board for addiction professionals; State/provincial boards of psychology; Canadian Psychological Association; American Psychotherapy Association.
- No more than 12 CEs within a 24-hour period
- Cannot duplicate CEs (cannot be identical or substantially identical to a CE you earned before)
- All CEs MUST be related to the practice of psychology.
- At least 2 CEs in Pain Management (Behavior management, psychology of pain, pharmacology, behavior modification, stress management, clinical applications, drug interventions)
- At least 3 hours in Ethics
- Live, in-person programs
- Interactive or monitored teleconferences
- Audio conference
- Web-based programs
- Online programs
- Journal articles or other self-study programs = up to 30 CE
Passing a postgraduate academic course (psychology) in accredited educational program = up to 20 CE
Presentation of an approved CE program = up to 2 CE/50 min. (max 20 CEs)
Participate in panel discussion = 1 CE/hour (max 5)
Initial presentation of scientific exhibit, poster, scientific paper = up to 2 CE/50 min. or clinical demonstration (max 20 CEs)
Publication of an article in peer-reviewed journal = 5 CEs = 2 CEs (second auth) (max 20)
Publication in non-peer journal, newsletter, magazine = 1 CE (max 3)
Publication of a chapter (health care or peer-reviewed textbook) = 5 CE (primary auth) 2 CE (second auth) (max 20)
Publication of a book = 20 CE(non selfpub) = 10 CE (self publish)
Identifying, researching, resolving issue related to prof practice = 1 CE/hour (max 5)
Participate on professional State, National committee, board, council = 5 CE each (max 5)
Participate as student in postdoctoral clinical program = 10 CE (max)
Participate as a surveyor, inspector or service delivery for:
- Commission on Accreditation; Joint Commission; APA;
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities Intnl = 10 CE (max)
- Peer review committee dealing with patient care
- Committee dealing with utilization review
- Health Care Organization committee dealing with patient care = 10 CE (max)
Instructor for the first time:
- Students, staff, or other licensees at a postdoctoral clinical training
- Students, interns, residents or staff = 2 CE/hour (max 10)
Provide clinical supervision for MA, Ph.D. or postdoc students (not part of regular job description) = 1 CE/hour (max 10)
Peer supervision, consultation with prof colleagues = 1 CE/hour (max 10)
Participate in case conf, multidisciplinary conf, for training purposes = 1 CE/hour (max 10)
Provide individual supervision for LLP beyond required for license = 1 CE/hour (max 10)
Receiving individual supervision beyond hours required = 1 CE/hour (max 10)
Obtain initial certification in specialty area = 20 CE
Am Bd of Prof Psychology; Mi Certif Bd for Addiction Prof = 20 CE each period
Participation in development of national exam for psychologists = 5 CE (max 5)
This is just a summary. The further details, qualifications and methods for obtaining the CE credits can be obtained from the State of Michigan R338.2583.
Hope this helps some of us to see the scope of what can qualify for CE credits.